Pages

ADVENTURES AT THE LIVESTOCK SHOW

Monday, January 27, 2014

(WELL UP UNTIL THE PIG SNORTED IN HER FACE - THEN THE PARTY WAS OVER)


First of all, let me state, this blog entry is written by yours truly, the past Sunflower County Livestock Princess herself - In full glory.  I still remember the night I got crowned like it was yesterday!  I started showing pigs when I was about 4 or 5 - in the pre-livestock age division.  Lambs were my passion.  Bo-Peep was my Grand Champion Lamb.  I went all the way to Dixie Nationals with her.  I really should give my dad all the credit.  I don't think I ever knew how big of a job participating in the livestock show really was.  I "helped" feed and walk my sheep, but honestly he did 99.9% of the work - feeding them twice per day, walking them, bathing them, sheering them, etc.  We use to tie them on treadmills to walk them to make the hind quarters thicken up.  At the time, I thought it was for the health of the lamb.... little did I know the purpose for wanting her fit......  (that makes me so sad).  I have never eaten lamb, and I never will eat lamb.  They are the most clean, sweet, gentle creations of all of heaven (next to Rose).  Pigs on the other hand - bring on the bacon!  I showed my first heifer when I was about 8.  It belonged to Edgar Donahoe.  They spent the big money on cattle and raised them - all I had to do was show her.  That was also extremely fun - no work - all glory!!!! I actually won the C.K. Fisackerly Showmanship Award my Senior year of High School.  It was enough money to pay for my sorority all the way through college, and that is precisely how I used the money.  And if your thinking, "Cassey, showing cows and pigs and lambs ... that's so tom-boy and doesn't fit" - oh, don't you worry - I had a different outfit for each time a stepped foot into that arena and all my heifers had matching bows in the tails (to match my outfit of course).  I can still be stylish - even while showing cows.

Rose, on the other hand, I'm not so sure if she will love the livestock shows or not.  When we first got there her little expressions were priceless: "Ahhh.... PIG" and "Moooooooo."  She petted the sheep and even gave one a hug.  However, she did venture to get up close and personal with one pig and he looked her straight in the face and snorted and it was over.  She was done.  Rose started screaming like someone was amputating her foot with no medication.  Pure terror crossed her face.  So much for that.  She could care less about a pig.  As far as Rose was concerned, it was time to go home.  She wouldn't play with the other kids, she wouldn't get down from my arms, she wouldn't take her pictures on the hay.  Nope. Nada. Negative.  So....  We took the adventure home and looked at pigs in our favorite farm book! :) Better luck next year!!!
The pig that changed her life

Never wake a sleeping pig (or two)



Clenching on for dear life


Still Clenching...  

"I am over this Momma.  Take me home."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS